Saturday 22 September 2012

DIY natural hair treatment- A wee experiment

Banana, egg and olive oil hair mask

My hair has been in the worst condition lately. I've been trying to dye it from dark red to platinum white (right now it is a light ginger blonde- before it was BRIGHT ORANGE). As I am sure many of you probably know, bleaching hair is extremely damaging and will leave you with thin, breaky and straw like strands.

***A little background on my hair- I have been dying it since I was about 9 and have had most colours. I've gone from the the whitest of white to the blackest of blacks and everything in between. I've been in the process growing it properly for about 3/4 years and it is just below waist length, but the longest it has been is below my belly button. My hair is probably the thing people most comment on about me.


So to save my poorly locks I did a bit of googling and came across a natural, cheap and nourishing concoction to put on my bonce consisting of bananas, eggs and olive oil.

My first thought was 'ewww, I don't like the idea of putting egg in my hair' but reading up on each ingredient and why it helps eventually changed my mind:

Banana- Full of potassium, iron and B vitamins that are great for your hair and will make it stronger and shinier.

Egg- The egg white is rich in protein which repairs the hair, fixes split ends and protects against damage. The egg yolk again is good for shine and smoothness.

Olive oil- I think you can use any oil, I actually used sunflower oil, but this just helps with shine.

HOW I DID IT

Step 1- Brush your hair to eliminate all knots and tangles.

Step 2- Get yourself a bowl and take your banana. Put the banana into the bowl *skin removed* and start mashing it with a fork. Do this until the mixture is as smooth as possible- you'll see why this is important in my review below.
Use common sense here; if your hair is longer or thicker then you'll probably need two bananas, if it's shorter or thinner then one should suffice.

Step 3- Break two eggs and add them to the the bowl and mix.

Step 4- Add roughly a tablespoon of olive oil to the mixture. You can add more if you want your hair to be shinier.

Step 5- Apply to hair. I would recommend doing this over the sink as it is a messy job! I just grabbed it with my hands and smeared all though my hair until it was covered.

Step 6- Wrap your hair up in a plastic bag to keep it out the way and also to allow the heat from your head to help the mixture nourish your hair further. If you want you could also wrap your head in a towel to keep it even warmer.

You can leave the mixture on for as long as you want but I'd say up to an hour will do.

To wash it off simply run under cool water (hot water might cook the egg) and then shampoo and condition as normal. Leave hair to dry naturally if possible.


WHAT I THOUGHT OF IT- REVIEW:

Now my hair has dried I can honestly say it feels a lot better than before!! It's super soft and feels really thick and healthy, before I had strands snapping off at shoulder length and my hair was uneven due to how much had snapped off. Once it had dried I tugged at it and nothing broke or fell off! The ends of my hair still looked flimsy and straggly (there were really really damaged and coarse) so I did chop them off and now my hair looks a lot healthier.

The negatives to this D.I.Y hair job is that even though I had tied a bag around my head, the mixture still dripped down onto my face and it was horrid! It is very oily and therefore very runny.Another thing about this hair mask is that the banana goes brown after about half an hour and you will smell the banana for the whole length of time you have it applied! If this isn't a problem for you then don't worry but I personally found this quite unpleasant. And finally when you come to wash it out the banana can be extremely difficult to get out! I assume this is because I didn't make it smooth enough but I had to pick chunks of brown old banana out my hair which was not nice at all.

Overall though I would definitely recommend this home-made hair mask to anyone with damaged hair or who just wants go give their locks a little treat. It's cheap, it's natural and it actually works so I will definitely be doing this again. Just next time I'll but the banana in a blender!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment